Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Huna is Hawaiian

QUESTION: I love Huna, but lately I've come across several writers who say that Huna is not Hawaiian and that the ancients never practiced any form of it. What's the scoop?

ANSWER: Well, there's good news and there's bad news. The good news is that Huna was practiced by the ancient Hawaiians (please read my article "Huna and Hawaiians" at http://www.huna.org/html/hunahaw.html). The bad news is that Max Long's version of Huna was not practiced by the ancient Hawaiians. He created a very good system based on Hawaiian words from a nineteenth century dictionary - the only one available at the time - combined with ideas from psychology and theosophy. At the time he was here it was against the law to be a kahuna or call oneself a kahuna, so he was never able to learn from Hawaiians directly. In spite of that, his system is workable and has helped many people.

3 comments:

  1. I think that if you read Serge's books like Urban Shaman and practice, you will see that what these writers are saying fade into the distance because it works. One of the main sayings of Serge's teachings "effectiveness is the measure of truth", comes into play here very nicely. There are many writers and people out there saying that certain things don't work or exist, yet they do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not know if people believe that Huna comes from Hawaii, personally
    I realized that in my life, I have always used traditional Hawaiian and
    Huna without knowing what they were then rediscover all in this old
    philosophy.
    Is not it strange?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So now people are going to argue about being the "real" Huna practitioners and the false ones. In my opinion it is fake and not ancient. I studied Martial arts as a kid, breathing exercises, later I learned some yoga and also learned about theosophy. By the time I seen huna I already knew all these things and therefore knew it was just a ripoff of various teachings from around the world.

    ReplyDelete