Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Being A Shaman

QUESTION: How do you know if you are a shaman?

ANSWER: That's like asking "How do you know if you are an athlete?" If you think the way an athlete thinks and do what an athlete does, you can be called an athlete. The same is true of a shaman. It is a vocation, not a state of being. If you think the way a shaman thinks and do what a shaman does, you can be called a shaman. In a particular culture, there might be an initiation to recognize your status in the community, but it is your demonstrated ability that makes you a shaman, not the initiation. And, since "shaman" is only a borrowed word to describe someone who engages in certain kinds of activities and views the world in a certain way, the precise definition of a shaman can vary from culture to culture and place to place. Of course, if you don't know how a shaman thinks or what a shaman does, then the question itself is irrelevant.

2 comments:

  1. Aloha, if I may say for me a shaman is first of all a responsible person who wants and can heal others or situations, to balance and harmonize and to who people come or he / she comes in contact for some reason.That they both shaman and aperson or situation have some 'unsolved' relationship from who knows where or when, now in situation to try to heal and make it a better or improved thing, relation or situation. But a shaman can say things or advise people of if asked to. Or can perform things on his / hers own as to improve something or heal or find out or...
    You are my teacher and healer Master Serge, please ,do I understand it good? Aloha, mahalo nui.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you online Serge through 'syncronicity' and I am so glad that I did. Your practicality and common sense are refreshing. I would like to invite you to visit my blog..http://themercurialworld.blogspot.com/ I feel a sense of kindred spirit with you.
    Your ever-well-wishing friend,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete